How to reset admin password in VIP
VIP requires an administrative password for initial configuration, or if you need to make changes to the the unit later (such as NIC settings, domain name, or SSL certificate). If you need to reset your password, here is a procedure to do so.
Resetting the password
- Create a bootable Ubuntu USB flash drive. Download the Ubuntu Desktop ISO from here: https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop
- Download and run Universal USB Installer to make the bootable USB.
- Once the bootable USB drive is created, turn off the VIP Server, and plug in the bootable USB drive.
- Press F11 while the unit boots up to enter the boot menu. Once in the boot menu, you should see something like this:
- Select your USB device to boot from it.
- While booting, you might see this screen. We used the first Boot option.
- Once booted, open terminal and make the mount directory. To do this, enter the following at the prompt:
sudo mkdir /media/ubuntu
- Then we mount the SSD to /media. To do this, enter the following command:
sudo mount /dev/dm-0 /media/ubuntu
- Next, change the password for the admin account. Enter the following command:
sudo passwd --root /media/ubuntu admin
- Power off your VIP Server appliance and remove the USB drive. Then boot your VIP Server appliance back up.
- Once booted, you should now be able to login with your new password.
Let us know how we can help
If you have further questions on this topic or have ideas about improving this document, please contact us.