How to Make a Switch Console Cable
The ABS Switch Console for the Legacy ONE-x-Six, Direct Interface, and 1A2 Interface module uses a special 6-conductor cable that is no longer being produced by Telos. The materials to build your own are readily available at your favorite telephone wiring supplier (and online). You may even find a direct replacement for the OEM cable. Read on for the specification.
While it looks like a standard RJ11 telephone cable, it is not. If you look carefully, the connector on a standard phone cable has 6 positions for pins, but may only have 2-4 pins installed with corresponding conductors. The Switch Console uses a 6-conductor flat cable with 6P6C RJ11 (RJ12/14/18/25?) connectors with all 6 pins installed. The pinout arrangement inverts between the connectors as shown:
- Connections to Switch Console MUST use 6-conductor, inverting cables.
- Maximum length is 100 feet.
- +9VDC (Power to Switch Console)
- RCV (From Switch Console to Phone system)
- XMIT (to Switch Console from Phone system)
- Ready/Busy (Low signifies Switch Console sending)
Let us know how we can help
If you have further questions on this topic or have ideas about improving this document, please contact us.