MPX Node v1.5.0 - Release Notes and Update Instructions
This document applies to the following Omnia MPX Node devices;
- Omnia MPX Node Decoder - part number 2001-00522-000
- Omnia MPX Node Encoder - part number 2001-00529-000
This firmware update is advised for all users of MPX Nodes. The changes include numerous software fixes, usability enhancements to the web GUI, and enabling automatic restart of a few key services should they quit unexpectedly (μMPX CODEC, web GUI, packet duplicator), and addressing customer support cases.
Version 1.5.0 ( August, 2022) Release Notes
While Telos has consistently recommended that MPX Node be run in a secure VPN environment, we are aware that some customers choose to run their units on the public Internet, leaving themselves open to probes and exploits. Changes in our latest release help harden the system against hackers and bad actors, proactively reducing risk for our users. Security changes include:
- Rework to our password system
- Login authorization required for all software endpoints
- Removal of accounts used for demo purposes.
- Required acceptance of our End User License Agreement (EULA).
Support has seen a couple rare cases where the GUI may become inaccessible (even while the product continues to pass MPX signal), requiring a remote session from Telos support, or a power cycle to clear it. Stability upgrades include:
- Upgraded log rotation, preventing logs from taking too much storage
- Internal service failure detection and automatic restart.
New User Features
- More granular settings for MPX level output and uMPX Delay settings
- Finer resolution mouse wheel control support of all sliders
Preparing to update
Download the Update File
Version 1.5.0 can only be installed on units running version 1.3.37 or higher.
If your MPX Node is running any lower version of software (1.3.35 or below) you must install version 1.3.37 first before installing 1.5.0. This intermediate step installs support for our latest software updater.
Save the update files to a convenient location on your computer.
Installing the Update
The MPX Node has a dual software bank update system. You can safely update the bank that is NOT active while the unit is online without disrupting programming, then choose a convenient time to switch to the new firmware. Software updates are always uploaded to the inactive bank.
- Using your web browser, navigate to the main web page of your MPX Node.
- Log in with your user name and password.
- From the left side menu, click on System Setup.
- At the bottom of the System Setup page, click on the SELECT FILE button
- Using the dialog box that opens (this will differ depending on your operating system), browse for and select the file you previously downloaded.
- Click the UPLOAD button. A progress bar will show you the status of the upload. Once complete, the version number in the Firmware bank that is inactive will reflect the new version number.
- Click the Make Active link on the bank that contains the new version.
- A confirmation screen will prompt you to proceed with a reboot.
Version 1.3.35 ( Apr 6, 2020)
- Multicast is now a supported option and can be enabled via a license key applied to the Decoder
- Additional streams can be added via a license key applied to the Encoder
For more information on enabling new features, please refer to these Help Docs links:
- Activating an MPX Node Licensed Features
- Setting up Multicast:
- Configuring MPX Nodes for redundant streams
- Each network interface supports its own unique gateway
- DNS is now user-configurable
- Internal log files are now accessible on the standard system page
- Slider controls now operate more smoothly
- Ability to set Encoder stream DSCP and TTL settings implemented
- improved sonic performance
With major changes to the Network stack, MPX Node is now capable of sending/receiving redundant streams over separate networks. Sending to the same IP address on both Net1 and Net2 provides packet redundancy to the decoder.
Version 1.1.5 (Jan 9, 2020)
- Maintenance release only, no new features in this version.
- Fixes a rare issue where an ill-timed reboot could result in corruption of the flash memory.